This recipe is super simple, and it’s SO MUCH FUN for kiddos to make their own soft pretzels! My girls love to make these pretzels with friends (and design crazy shapes), and it’s also a nice switch from popcorn or nachos for family game night. They are awesome to eat just plain…..but there are limitless crazy dips you can create for a little added flavor.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons butter (soft)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- kosher salt (or coarse sea salt)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, combine yeast and water. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes, until foamy.
- With bread hook, mix in butter, flour, and salt. Dough should be stiff and form a tight ball. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch (risen) dough down and divide into 12 pieces (I roll it into a big cylinder, then cut it into pieces for the kiddos to shape). Roll each section into a rope and shape into pretzel.
- Bring water and baking soda to ALMOST boiling, and lower each pretzel into the water bath for about a minute, flipping it over 1/2 way through Place pretzels on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake at 450 for 12 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as they brown quickly!
Fun, Tasty Dips:
- peanut butter, honey, cinnamon
- cinnamon & sugar
- grainy mustard & honey (or raspberry jam!)
- melted cheese & salsa
- french onion dip