We all need a favorite go-to recipe for amazing chocolate chip cookies. You know…..the one that your kiddos smell a mile away and the special cookies that friends ask you to bring to parties. This recipe will quickly become your favorite “go-to” for soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies and will satisfy the most discerning cookie connoisseur! Perfectly paired with a glass of ice-cold milk…..or warm cup of tea…..they will add a sunny smile to any rainy day!
There are three key “secrets” to these amazing cookies:
CHILL the dough before baking
Combined together, those three elements make these cookies super soft and perfectly chewy. It’s a wonderful go-to recipe for potlucks, parties, and snowed-in movie nights!
- 3/4 cup room-temperature butter (1 & 1/2 sticks – do NOT use margarine)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I love Ghirardelli dark chocolate or bittersweet)
- Cream together butter and sugars until light & fluffy (about 3 – 4 minutes).
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix until well incorporated with butter/sugar mixture.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
- With mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time until well-incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Cover and CHILL dough for at least 2 hours (up to 24 hours).
- Remove from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350 degrees (let dough sit on counter while oven heats).
- Roll cookie dough into balls (I use a melon ball scooper), and place on baking sheet. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until they are slightly browned on the edges. **They will look soft, but don’t let them overbake.**
- Remove from oven and let the cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Place cookies on cooling rack.
Makes about 2 dozen (depending on size)
Of course, modify the amount of chocolate chips or type of chip to suit your taste. I’ve used pecans, walnuts, craisins, and toffee chips for extra “add-ins”, so BE CREATIVE and personalize this recipe as much as you can!