These are the cutest little DIY Shrinky Dink bobby pins! It’s so fun and easy to create Shrinky Dink Charms on shrinking plastic, bake them for a couple minutes, then glue them onto colorful hair pins. These DIY hair accessories are a quick, simple and SASSY project for sleepovers, birthday parties, playdates, and rainy afternoons. You don’t have to be a kid to make Shrinky Dinks. These DIY hairpin designs are cute additions to hairdos of any age!
Let’s be honest, this craft project is pretty self-explanatory. However, I’ll recap the steps and “lessons-learned” on our journey to Shrinky Dink Bobby Pins to make it as easy and pain-free as possible.
Let’s Do This: Shrinky Dink Bobby Pins!
- Glue Gun (or other adhesive method)
- Oven (I know – but I had to list it)
Super Easy Instructions:
- Sand the clear plastic sheets *if they are not already textured*. I use a nail block, and it doesn’t have to be A LOT of sanding, but the colored pencil and markers will adhere to the plastic if it has a bit of texture. SOME shrinking plastic sheets already have texture , but I find them to be more expensive. It doesn’t take much effort to sand it yourself – you get more sheets of plastic and you can use the money you save to go buy kettle corn. At least, that’s what I’d do.
- Create your design.
- Bake according to plastic sheet directions – usually 2-3 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. **Watch the fabulously created designs SHRINK – this is the magic of this project!**
- You can see from the picture below how the measurement/design of a 1″ disc reduces to about 1/2 of the original size.
- If they curl a bit on the edges, no worries. You can flatten them out (do it right after you take them out of the oven – they cool quickly and cannot be bent). I usually flatten them out with the back of a spatula. You find whatever kitchen tool works for you!
- After they cool, adhere them to your colored bobby pins with hot glue. Again, use your adhesive of choice. I like hot glue because it dries quickly. I’m a immediate gratification person! From oven….3-minute gluing intermission…..to my hair!
That’s it! How easy and super fun is that?!
Please be sure to leave a comment if you make these cute little pins, and don’t forget to PIN this project to your boards on Pinterest to share with friends!
If you love this project, check out our other super fun and easy DIY Hair Accessories:
And lastly, don’t forget to sign up for my monthly newsletter:
Once a month, I send out an email with links to new and fun crafts…..and ideas for living with a bit of An Inspired Mess. Thanks so much for stopping by!